It is quite devastating to know that you are charged with any form of sex crime. Being labeled a sex offender is traumatic and is something you will carry with you for the rest of your life.
As much as it is a good idea to cooperate with the police to avoid additional charges, your first instinct should be to look for a good sex crime defense attorney.
Sex crimes are sensitive and should be handled as such. Getting a reputable attorney to handle your case is imperative.
So, how do you handle yourself to increase your chances of winning the case?
Being accused of a sexual crime is embarrassing. It does not matter if you are innocent or not. People will look at you a certain way and judge you the second they realize you are being charged with sexual assault.
The trauma that comes with it might make it difficult to focus. If you are too devastated or overwhelmed, a close friend or family member can help in your search for a good attorney.
On that note, below are tips on how to handle yourself after being arrested and how to get the best sex crime attorney.
- Do not talk about the investigation. Not to the press, not to your friends, and definitely not to your family. In a bid to seek empathy, you might find yourself in need of someone to talk to. By talking about the case, you are likely to weaken major facts of the case. So, it is advisable to only speak when your lawyer is present.
- Look for a lawyer who specializes in sex crimes. Avoid going for one that claims to be an expert in everything. Go for attorneys who are experienced in sex crimes.
- Obtain referrals for reputable lawyers in your area. As you do that, refrain from divulging too much information on the case. Just say that you are being charged for crimes related to sex, and you need a good attorney to represent you.
- Once you have referrals, carefully assess their websites and trust your instincts on which to hire. Also, look through several websites and don’t contact the first law firm that catches your eye. Remember to also look at how many sex crimes they have won.
- After that, contact the law firm and schedule consultations. Have a couple of attorneys, at least 3, of whom to interview. If you are already in custody, get someone you trust to do this for you. Have them bring the attorneys to jail for a sitting.
- Remember that first impressions matter. Consider your feelings the moment the lawyer walks into the room. Pick a lawyer with whom you are comfortable, and one you believe is after your best interests.
By following the above steps, you will be one step away from getting the legal representation you deserve from Shwartz criminal defense firm. You will have a lawyer who will work on your case to ensure a fair judgment is passed.